September 15, 2018: The Sacred Heart family in action
Today we joined members of the Sacred Heart Academy, the Rosary here in New Orleans to work with SBP on a build in the Lower Ninth Ward. SBP, formerly the Saint Bernard Project, our own home-grown recovery agency, now serves as the National agency that mobilizes to help communities recover from natural disaters. It began as a response by two volunteers who came to new Orleans to help in the recovery. Their initial volunteer efforts led them to work together and establish a tool lending library that would eventually end up as the model for recovery assistance, "shrinking the time" between disater and recovery.
1. The logo created in three languages (English, French and Spanish) and translated into many, many more languages unites Sacred heart communites around the globe on this day to honor the expansion of Sacred Heart education by St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, RSCJ to the ends of the Earth. Duchesne House is named after Philippine.
2. Sr. Lynne Lieux, RSCJ shows off the shirts the Academy of the Sacred Heart designed as part of their homecoming after being evacuated during Hurricane Katrina (August 29, 2005). Thirteen years later, the shirt still brings up memories of that tragedy as well as memories of the resiliency of communities and individuals coming together to lend a hand.
3. Some of the students from the Rosary (the Academy of the Sacred Heart on St. Charles Avenue) arrive ready to make a difference with Sr. Lieux, RSCJ and Miss Crow, their teacher.
4. The bio that SBP puts out letting volunteers know this isn't just a "project" but someone's home. Ms. Rosemary, aged 72 lost her home in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the breach of the levee system and subsequent flooding of the city. We're honored to have contributed for a few hours in helping get Ms. Rosemary back into her home.
5. SBP staff and Project Lead, Bri (from Florida) is as amazing as the rest of the SBP cohort who work through the Americorp program for an 11 month stint, learning and teaching important construction and community planning/advocacy skills.
6. Another amazing SBP PL, Unique (from Boston) shows us the next few steps.